Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wake up Corr!

3:30 am, awake in Bangalore city, alone, working into the wee hours of the morning.
Lately it’s become a routine.


No, I am not in office.


I am in the confines of my bedroom, sitting in bed, propped up by pillows, cradling the laptop on my lap (how apt!), trouble-shooting reported bugs, responding to queries from my counterparts in the US.
While it’s the dawn of my today, for them it’s the evening of my yesterday.


Most nights it’s quiet. I work in silence. Sometimes, an imaginary ghost does send a chill down my spine; that is, if I allow my mind to wander.


Sometimes, a sense of loneliness takes me by surprise. Its coldness brings up a charge of tears.


At other times, your mind gets lost in thoughts of someone dear. It’s ironic that in such moments of melancholic silence, that one person who swore to be by your side is out of sight.


My cell phone lies beside me. I yearn to pick it up and make a call, nip the misery and solitude at the bud. But realization sets in.


There was a time when you could call a friend anytime, anyplace, whether in sunshine or amidst a storm. Now, I can only remember those bygone years.


Today, it’s selfish to expect, it’s impolite to visit without having made an appointment first. People are wary to commit because of the fear of expectations. Give me your time, give me your love, but please don’t expect the same. That’s the mantra.


The other day I read a quote which said:


‘The worst in life is ‘attachment’. It hurts when you lose it. The best thing in life is ‘loneliness’ because it teaches you everything and when you lose it, you get everything’.


Whoever came up with this must have had it real bad, to come up with such an over-stretched, trying hard to make it sound good statement.


But alas, it’s an undeniable truth. We are a generation 24/7 connected (cell phones, internet, gizmos and all sorts of gadgets, what have we not?). But emotionally, we are disconnected from oneself, from our peers and those who matter. Emotionally bankrupt, we are.




It’s raining outside.
I can hear the pitter patter of the raindrops, the swishing sounds of the leaves as they sway in the breeze.


Likewise, my mind wanders.


How did I get to where I am now?
At the beck and call of a job, when did work-life balance go so askew?
Putting my priorities in the wrong set of things, wrong set of people, is like feeding my pearls to pigs.
Bad food, bad habits, less sleep, no exercise, we all started out swearing we wouldn’t succumb. Scattering and unaligned priorities, in the blink of an eye, we’ve fallen hook line and sinker into a pitiable lifestyle.


Ting!
There goes the email alarm in my outlook inbox.


It’s 4:15am.
Another query to answer, electronically!


I’ll do that and then maybe my laptop would crash and I’ll catch my Zzzz’s.


No worries.
I am not yet at the point of no return.


I can still swing my life around. Right back up, to where it belongs!


To where I belong…

9 comments:

  1. You are not alone! :)

    I am in US waiting for 12am call for my Indian counterparts to explain them happenings from today at onsite (yesterday for them), coming requirements and expectations for today.

    PS - I am a friend of Ashish Chandra, noticed your blog through his blog and really like your writing, so following you on RSS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone for sure... I just returned from a very long walk across Manhattan...

    Being alone in a large city is not a whole lot of fun. You come back early from a walk.. or stay out the whole night... no one really cares.

    Am here with you mate, dont you worry :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Dhruva... Welcome buddy! Your comment was a nice surprise :) Thank you!

    @Ashish... :-) 'No one really cares' -- That is kinda ringing in my mind right now :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always wanted to make a difference and then I succumbed....
    The dreams, the aspirations, the belief we had in ourself... We forgot our strength and our methods... Maybe we should all revisit our past!
    We are with you, Corr

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Poo...Yeah, we speak the same language. It's nice to know that someone somewhere is not too far from what you are going through.They can relate. Thanks lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your writing. Though I am long distance you can call me anytime. Love you sweetie. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Surprisingly I have been on a similar trip lately :).. but my angst was more towards teh fact that I am falling behind in the rat race because of teh decisions i have made.. :)
    But then thats the trade off- tahts wat makes us, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karthik SubramanianSaturday, August 28, 2010

    There is a RAT RACE on????!!!!! O_O

    ReplyDelete
  9. While reading this one, i felt you have taken my words and put it here.. and while reading the comments I realized that there are so many of us who are somehow struggling and juggling in this world full of expectations and deadlines, both of which are impossible to be met..
    But you know wat, i have realized one thing that - life is really long !! So just take a turn wenever u feel its not the rite way.. No matter how many times we have take a turn or even U turn, its never a loss becoz we always gain experience and knowledge !!
    And Coretta, i love the way u express your emotions through your writings.. I love your self-expression.. Though i have only been in touch with thru net, yet it feels like i know you..

    ReplyDelete

Follow this site

Follow this site >